Copyright 2005-2017 Southeastern Adams Volunteer Emergency Services

All Rights Reserved

 

Conewago Fire Company 15
Adams County

SAVES

Southeastern Adams Volunteer Emergency Services

5865 Hanover Road Hanover, PA 17331

Telephone (717) 637-9621 Fax (717) 637-4910

For more Information about SAVES Email: Info@company29.org

EMS

Organized October 24, 1948 by Reverend Harold Keller, than Pastor of Sacred Heart Church, Conewago, for the purpose of protection of the historic church.

The company was incorporated on April 21, 1956.

June 6, 1957 ground was purchased and a two story Fire Hall was erected.  Because of its proximity to the street the basement was constructed to house fire equipment, and the second floor provided a Social Hall and Kitchen.  This hall, because of its unique size became a popular spot for family gatherings and community celebrations.  Except for heating and electrical work all construction was accomplished by members with all volunteer labor.  The building was dedicated on May 30, 1959, by then presiding Judge of Adams County, W. C. Sheeley.  Several additions were made to the facility over the years.

In 1968 the Hall was enlarged and a walk-in refrigerator was built, again all by volunteer labor. 

In 1995 a new engine bay was constructed with a training room and an entrance foyer to the Hall on the second floor.  Handicap accessibility and rest rooms were also added.  A new heating system and air conditioning were added along with updating the electrical system and a new acoustical ceiling in the hall. 

The Company was first organized with donated engines and ladder trucks acquired by Father Keller.  These pieces were all American LaFrance models in the 1920-1930 model years. 

The first new engine was a 1954 Dodge/Darley 500 GPM with a 400-gallon booster tank.  A few years later a used GMC Walk-In van was put into service to carry our portable equipment an additional personnel.  These units remained in service until the purchase of a new Chevrolet/Darley in 1977 with a 750 GPM pumping capacity carrying 750 gallons of water. 

In 1978 a new Chevrolet Walk-In van was purchased and built to our specifications by members to carry portable equipment, personnel and double as a medical assist unit carrying equipment for trauma, CPR, and oxygen incidents. 

On March 20, 1998 a new 1999 International/Darley engine with a 1250 GPM pump carrying a 1000-gallon of booster supply water. In 2001 a service truck was replaced by a 1994 Suburban purchased from York Memorial Hospital to use as a medical assist unit. 

The Ladies Auxiliary had been active over the years since 1949, and contributed generously to the company until November 2001 when they merged with the fire company.

 In 1964 city water lines were extended into Edge Grove and thus the installation of the fire hydrant system.  At this time our reservoir containing approximately 90,000 gallons of water was closed and returned to the former land owners. 

In 1997 a determination letter of request to the Federal Government for tax exempt status was granted.  A feasibility meeting determined that the company, because of its close proximity to the neighboring companies would remain a 2-vehicle company comprising one engine and one special unit. 

The company celebrated its 50th anniversary on October 24, 1998.

On May 1998 the company awarded three Conewago Enterprise employees safety awards for bravery in saving a life of a burn victim at the Weld Shop fire. 

In 2002 merger talks commenced. 

In 2004 a joint meeting was held a Delone Catholic High School to vote on an approval or disapproval of the merger of the four fire companies involved.  Conewago Township Supervisors gave approval of the merger with 110% cooperation. 

All finances from the savings, checking and relief fund accounts were handed over to the new SAVES Company 29.  All equipment was also turned over. 

The Fire Company facility was put up for sale and sold to the Potter House, a Christian organization. 

Both the Engine and the Special Unit were eventually sold to other fire companies.

Thus ends an era of dedication and hard work by those involved.  Good memories remain by those dedicated persons who took pride in their community and pride in helping those in need.  We are now joined together with other neighbors in still more dedication and pride in a job well done.